Home » Featured

Poll: Will you miss Borders?

Submitted by on 1, February 18, 2011 – 12:01 am12 Comments

Wednesday’s news that Borders will be shuttering its Alameda Towne Centre store has generated mixed emotions here on the Island. Some say it’s poetic justice that a big-box store blamed for putting mom and pop booksellers out of business is in financial trouble. Others say they’ll miss the store and that they hate to see the empty space at Towne Centre. What do you think? Let us know by taking our poll, and feel free to expand in the comment section below.

Will you miss Borders?

• Yes, I shopped there and will miss having that option. (44%, 54 Votes)
  • Yes, I hate to see the empty space at Towne Centre. (34%, 41 Votes)
  • No, I won't miss them a bit. (22%, 27 Votes)

Total Voters: 122

Loading ... Loading ...

• Annette says:

Yes. They had the cleanest restrooms in South Shore Towne Center.

• Dawna says:

Yes….I did nice having the option of Borders….but I spend most of my book dollars at Book’s Inc…yay!!

• Rocky says:

I must admit that I am addicted to books and that when I was looking for a way to spend some idle moments I would often end up at the Alameda Borders. Of course, I still have the library, Books Inc, Wilmots, and a few other used bookstores on the island to try out. That said, Borders was easy to get into because of parking and location.

It always seemed busy to me and it looked profitable. That makes me wonder at the state of book buying in the country if a store that seemed to have that much traffic goes under. Sure, a lot of people came for free browsing and to sit in the internet cafe, but they were selling books too, right? I for one am really glad we have the smaller independent and used bookstores on the island, and one of the best public libraries in the area. Still, I will miss Borders.

• Mary Loughran says:

I will miss the First Wed of the Month Poetry Reading Series of the Alameda Island Poets on Borders’ second floor. There’s one more coming up Mar 2 at 7pm (I hope). Its Open Mic has been a supportive place for local emerging poets to begin reading in public, and has featured established poets from the Bay Area, like Jack and Adele Foley, John Rowe and Jannie Dresser,poetry columnist for the San Francisco Examiner. Thank you, Borders, for hosting the readings. Sad to let you go. Teens will miss this
      gathering place, a service to the community.

• Annette says:

Thanks Huda and Craig. I’ll check restroom out this weekend.

• Betty says:

I always shop at Books Inc. I think I went into Borders once. But I don’t shop at South Shore. I make it a point to shop at small businesses it won’t even occur to me to buy a book at Borders.

• Ken says:

It’s hard for me to believe that there are people that won’t miss the Borders. Even if you never shopped there, even if you hate big box retailers, it’s undeniable that the Borders brought traffic, energy and a feeling of life around Southshore. What do you think having a big vacant space is going to do to the feeling of that shopping area, because that’s what it’s going to be. Either that or another discount store. I’m pretty bummed.

• lin says:

Both. Will not miss Borders the Book store. Books, Inc. fills the gap nicely thankyouverymuch. But do hate to see the big space in there.

• frank martin says:

Whatever one might think of ‘big box’ stores the Borders was a First Class store. This is something lacking in the entire South Shore Complex. It provided both jobs for locals and tax revenue for
    the City. It was large enough that you could find a place to sit and read a book. Take a break and have a coffee. It certainly helped support the small restaurants located nearby.

Now we will have a large empty space in a mall that has many empty spaces. No matter what one thinks of Borders as a company this is a big loss for the City.

• Mariah Ann says:

I will realllyyy miss BORDERS. I loved that store with all my heart. It was the best place to look for good books. And in the middle of my book series they shut down……and no other places sells those books. I will miss borders with my whole heart. It has brought many memories to my mind. ):