Smoke leads to brief main library evacuation
Alameda firefighters briefly evacuated the Main Library on Thursday afternoon after smoke began pouring out of one of the library’s vents.
Division Chief Rick Zombeck said that shortly after 2 p.m., a compressor in the building’s ventilation system overheated, sending smoke through a vent. Firefighters evacuated the library for 25 minutes, he said.
“It came and went,” Zombeck said.
The smoke cleared soon enough for firefighters to cross the street to City Hall, where eight new recruits had a 3 p.m. graduation ceremony. They’ll start work this week, Zombeck said.