Home » Business, Headline

Ross grand opening is Saturday

Submitted by on 1, October 8, 2010 – 4:50 am5 Comments

The folks at Ross Dress for Less are holding a grand opening celebration for their new Alameda Towne Centre store at 9 a.m. this Saturday, October 9. The store will sit in the 30,187-square-foot former Safeway building. Celebrants will include Mayor Beverly Johnson and Stomper from the Oakland A’s.

The discount clothing store will also be offering customers a chance to win a $500 shopping spree or one of five $100 shopping sprees between now and October 17. And they’ll also offer $1,000 checks to the Boys & Girls Club of Alameda and the Alameda County Community Food Bank.

The opening marks a return for the discount chain, which had previously resided at the shopping center until January 2006.

Store hours will be from 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.

• James says:

That $500 shopping spree has my name all over it.

• Mike says:

Who cares? I never went when they were at their old location (Bed Bath & Beyond)

• Hilma says:

Let’s hope that they have a better check-out system than the former store. Standing in line for a half-hour to pay was so common that I stopped going there. Better luck this time around!

• Betty says:

Wow, another wasted space at South Shore. Who shops there? The stores are embarrassing. I never go there unless it’s to See’s Candies.

• Susan says:

Oh Great. Another useless store in Southshore. Can we possibly get more low end stores? No I think Southshore has cornered the market in second hand left over nobody wants stores or cheap stores for people with limited incomes. What happened to Target? Target is at least a store everyone can us. Why was that denied but Ross is good. Ross was bad when it was here before. Why again? I went to opening day at Ross. I didn’t see anyone I knew and I have lived in Alameda for 25 years. The lines were 30 people deep. The items were junky. Lots of different languages. Everyone looked like they came from Oakland. So much for reducing traffic through Alameda. We now have another bargin store for Oakland to shop at. How fabulous is that! Not very. Who makes these decisions for our community. I hope the store fails.