Home » Featured, Island News

DECISION 2010: New! Campaign questionnaires

Submitted by on 1, October 4, 2010 – 5:00 am5 Comments

Voting for the November 2 election begins today, and we’re here to help you make your decisions on local candidates. We asked all 23 candidates for local offices – Mayor, City Council, Board of Education and Health Care District Board – a list of questions in an effort to give you a sense of where local candidates stand on the issues, and most were good enough to offer us their answers (and on time, too – thanks, guys).

Those are available on our Decision 2010 elections page, along with links to candidate websites and more. More information about where and how to vote is available on the Alameda County Registrar of Voters website.

• Marie says:

Looks like Queen Bev didn’t have the time or the inclination to respond … why then should we vote for her?

• ct says:

That’s right; with a little less than a month left before Election Day, Mayor Beverly Johnson:

1. Doesn’t have a campaign website up;

2. Didn’t respond to the Alameda Democratic Club questionnaire for candidates; and

3. Didn’t respond to “The Island” questionnaire for candidates.

Johnson also didn’t take her responsibilities as mayor seriously. All of this proves she isn’t taking this election, Alameda, or us very seriously either.

• Tony Daysog says:

Thank you for posting these. Very much appreciated! – Tony D.

• Karen Bey says:

Michele, thanks for posting these. Here are some of my thoughts about the city council candidates and who I’m supporting for City Council.

Marilyn Ezzy Ashcraft

I’m a strong supporter of Marilyn Ezzy Ashcraft. She brings with her the leadership skills she acquired as President of the Planning Board, her work on the Economic Development Commission, and her work as Director of the Hospital Board.

Marilyn supports a hybrid approach to developing Alameda Point – an approach that will allow the City to develop a strong asset management program for the Point, while working with a developer to develop the rest of Alameda Point.

I like her approach because it will allow the city to control and manage the current leases at the Point, and attract companies like Lawrence Berkley Lab and others while continuing to work with a developer on a master plan for the rest of Alameda Point.

Marilyn is full of positive energy. She’s intelligent, she is a problem solver and she delivers results — you can see that with her campaign for the Main Library and her work to save Alameda Hospital.

Marilyn’s management style and her skills as an Arbitrator are very much needed on the City Council and in our community as we move forward post SunCal.

Rob Bonta

I am also supporting Rob Bonta for city council. He is young, intelligent, articulate, and has a clear vision for the future of Alameda. He brings with him the leadership skills he acquired from being the Chair on the Economic Development Commission, and Director of the Hospital Board.

He recently told me he can work with anyone on the City Council — which tells me that he is ready to roll up his sleeves and get to work for the people of Alameda.

I asked Rob how he would handle the leasing program at Alameda Point. He said, if possible he would like to locate all of the tenants in one section of the development so we can capitalize on the current leases and attract new tenants to the base, while continuing to work on a master plan for rest of Alameda Point.

I like his plan, because it will allow the Navy to continue with their clean up program, and it will allow the city to control the current leases and attract new tenants— all the while working on a larger master plan for the remainder of the Point.

What I like about Rob is that he is flexible, creative, and has good problem solving skills; all important skills we will need from our leaders to solve the difficult issues we face, and to be successful at developing Alameda Point.

• anotherfrank says:

I attended both of the candidate forums. I was also impressed with
    Marilyn Ezzy Ashcraft. I thought she was really sharp. I didn’t know much about her before the forum but her ideas and ‘hybrid’ approach to NAS made a lot of sense. I do hope more people will consider her.

I felt that various candidates had their strong points.

As much as people slam Adam on these boards I felt he had some good ideas. The City could certainly use someone with his technological expertise. I did not agree with his vision for NAS.

While most of the candidates ‘tiptoed’ around the subjet of pensions and healthcare for city and public safety employees Jeff Mitchell took it headon. I am not a big fan of his but have to give credit where it is due.

All of the candidates except Lena Tam had something bad to say about Suncal. I can’t say if they really meant it or not. The word Suncal never came up in any of Lena’s responses.

Rob was a bit intense. “Hi I’m Rob Bonta”. I think he finally realized he had repeated it everytime till he gave his closing remarks.

Just my take.