Home » Island Life

Your weekend: Foundation fundraisers

Submitted by on 1, July 29, 2010 – 4:50 am13 Comments

Times are tough for Alameda’s schools, and a number of local businesses are hosting fundraisers for the Alameda Education Foundation to try to help out.

First up: The folks at the Harbor Bay Club are holding a raffle for the foundation and for Alameda Meals on Wheels, and tickets are just $5 (with discounts if you purchase multiple tickets). They’re donating Club-related prizes worth up to $4,500, and the proceeds from the raffle go to each charity. You can get tickets for the raffle online, but you’ll need to do it soon: They’re announcing winners today.

Also, the foundation will benefit from two fundraisers businesses will host in August. On August 18, Aroma Restaurant and Alameda Business Network are offering appetizers, a drink ticket and a raffle ticket for a $10 donation to AEF. For $35, you can have a prix fixe dinner (with 15 percent of the proceeds going to the foundation). They’ve also got a package deal for $50, which includes a drink ticket, 20 raffle tickets and dinner with gratuity. They’ll have a silent auction as well. The event takes place from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., and Aroma is at 2337 Blanding Avenue.

Then on August 21, John Beery Yachts is hosting a Pirates in Paradise! event from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The “fun-raiser” will include kayaking, canoeing, whale boating, dragon boats and more. They’ll have dragon boat races and a small boat regatta to compete in (vessel required) on the estuary, boat rides, a raffle, art, music, food and more. Sponsors include John Beery Yachts, the Pasta Pelican, Wright Way Insurance and others. John Beery’s at 2415 Mariner Square Drive. For more information or to register for the regatta ($10 for adults, $5 for kids), contact Deborah Wright at wrightwaydesigns@hotmail.com or 908-3939.

Meanwhile, Alameda Towne Centre is working with the foundation to collect school supplies and musical instruments for homeless children, who make up close to 10 percent of Alameda Unified’s student population. School items being collected include backpacks, notebooks, pencils and pens, folders, protractors, calculators, markers and other classroom items. Gently used musical instruments are being collected as well.

Donations can be made at AEF’s table at the center’s Summer Beats Concerts tonight, Saturday and Sunday. The shows begin at 5:30 p.m. and they’ll be held at Centre Court. Towne Centre, of course, is at the corner of Park and Otis.

Meanwhile, Towne Centre is inviting young, advanced musicians to join their Young Songwriters Workshop & Jam Session with drummer DC Carter and Project 7 on Sunday, August 1. The workshop will be held from 1 p.m. to 3:45 p.m., and the jam session begins at 5:30 p.m. Applications to participate are due Friday. For more information, contact Marsha Harrison at marshah@harsch.com or call her at 521-8100.

AEF will be holding their big fundraiser, “All Together Now,” on November 12 at Auctions By the Bay theater. Stay tuned for more details on that.

• Page Barnes says:

If you are interesting in finding out more about how you can help AUSD with its long term funding issues, please read this article from last week’s “Alameda Sun.” It was co-authored by representatives of AEF, the PTA Council and APLUS.

• Adam Gillitt says:

In the interest of transparency and full disclosure, Ms Barnes, as a contractor of the AUSD how much of that funding would you receive directly?

• BC says:

Hi again, Adam. While we’re on the subject of transparency, I don’t think you answered my previous question. Maybe you’d care to do so now. I think it’s important.

“Adam: I don’t think you answered the question about whether you posted on Lauren Do’s site under different names. I think the allegation was you posted under Open7Days or similar as well as Gillco. Did you do so?

I think having new people enter city service is good. Your answer will help me understand the type of contribution you might make.”

• Page Barnes says:

None. For a time, I represented AUSD in its successful defense of the Measure H litigation. Although I was paid for a small portion of the work I did for AUSD, most of the work I did for the District was done pro bono. In other words, the District got lots of legal work from me for free. I withdrew as counsel for AUSD several months ago, and I have no plans to represent AUSD in the future. I also represented AEF pro bono when it was defrauded by one of its vendors and obtained a large payment for AEF from the vendor.

Anything else you care to criticize, Mr. Gillitt? And would you care to comment on what volunteer work you’ve done in the community?

• Adam Gillitt says:

Thanks for answering Ms Barnes, that clears up your position well. Much appreciated.

• Page Barnes says:

You’re welcome. But I’m afraid you didn’t answer my question. Could you please explain what volunteer work you have done in the community? I understand that your website says that even though you have lived here for 8 years, your first foray into community service in Alameda was during the June 2010 election when you were a poll worker (which is usually a paid position). Most people running for a city council position have a demonstrated commitment to community service. It seems that you do not.

• Anne DeBardeleben says:

Michelle, Thank you for bringing the fundraisers and businesses supporting AEF to the attention of your readers. The outpouring of support for Alameda’s students and schools by local businesses this year has been overwhelming. AUSD’s needs are greater than ever and it is exciting to see our community respond so strongly.

I would also like to thank Ms Barnes for directing readers to the article in last week’s Sun.

Mr. Gillitt, I have served as a board member for AEF for the past six years and as the Fundraising Chair for APLUS. Information on funds raised are or may be utilized can be found on our website. I would also be happy to meet and discuss any items with you personally.

Hopefully, we can count on your support at one or more of our fundraisers listed above. We have a special need for backpacks to distribute the school supplies collected for students in need. You or others can make a big difference to a child by dropping one off at the AEF table at one of the upcoming Summer Beats concerts.

Finally, Page Barnes has provided invaluable services to our community and I am confident she will continue to do so in the future. Alameda is extremely fortunate to have professionals like Ms. Barnes who are willing to give their knowledge and support to benefit our community.

• Adam Gillitt says:

Thanks Ms DeBardeleben, education is a topic that is of great importance to me, and I would be very interested in pitching in and do my fair share, if not more, to help Alameda’s students.

If you would like to get in touch with me via my website (www.adamforalameda.com) to let me know how I may offer my support, please do; I also spoke with Bill at your table at the Art and Wine Festival on Saturday and left him my campaign phone number.

• Adam Gillitt says:

grr, Michele, i wish you had an edit function !!!! :)

“and I would be very interested in pitching in TO do my fair share,”

• Jack B. says:

Adam, did you support or oppose Measure E?

Also, are you going to answer Paige’s question? She answered yours.

Thanks in advance.

• dave says:

Adam:

Why does your city council platform on your web page talk about what you’ll do for schools? And why does it say that the city had 2 elections this year? I know of only one (so far).

• Anne DeBardeleben says:

The Alameda Education Foundation provides a variety of opportunites for residents and businesses alike to support Alameda students and schools. Please visit our website http://www.alamedaeducation.org to make a donation and/or find a program that matches your interest and support level.

• Adam Gillitt says:

I will make a point to stop by to make a donation at the School Supply Collection at the Towne Center on Saturday, and I put a link to information about it on my website for you at http://www.adamforalameda.com/?p=158.