Home » Island News, Schools

Alameda’s Measure E appears headed for failure

Submitted by on 1, June 23, 2010 – 5:01 am49 Comments

Updated 9:47 p.m. Tuesday, June 22

The Measure E school parcel tax appeared headed for failure Tuesday night, despite the fact that 65 percent of voters who cast ballots included in a preliminary count were in favor of it.

As of 8 p.m. Tuesday, some 13,789 voters cast yes votes for the tax, and 7,297 said no, for a vote of 65.39 percent to 34.61 percent. The measure would need the approval of two-thirds of voters to pass.

The Committee Against Measure E’s Ed Hirshberg said he expected more people to vote against the measure. He was reluctant to declare victory until the final votes are counted.

“I don’t know that I’m prepared to do a victory dance,” Hirshberg said Tuesday night. “I hope that we’ve won. I hope we can move toward fair taxation.”

APLUS spokesman John Knox White said the election’s not over yet, but even if the measure loses, it still enjoyed the support of a majority of Alameda voters.

“Even if it is certified, two-thirds of the people of Alameda supported our schools,” Knox White said.

Final results weren’t expected until Wednesday. A ballot box that occupied a corner of the City Clerk’s office at Alameda City Hall this past week wasn’t expected to be picked up by county election workers until Wednesday morning, and voters were casting ballots there right up until the vote closed at 8 p.m. School board President Ron Mooney said other votes collected by the Alameda County Registrar of Voters also have yet to be counted.

But members of the board didn’t appear to hold out much hope the measure could still pass.

“When we put this on the ballot we knew this was going to be an uphill battle. But the superintendent and the board felt we needed to put this on the ballot to save us from these cuts,” Mooney said.

Superintendent Kirsten Vital fought back tears as she thanked supporters.

“A two-thirds vote is sometimes an impossible hurdle to overcome,” Vital said from the dais at Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting. “We will begin to see cuts as students go back to the classroom in August. And they will worsen in 2012-13. But we will not give up the fight to make sure every child has a quality education.”

Moments earlier, the board approved $7.2 million in budget reductions that included cutting five school days, adult education and a handful of other programs. And in the somber moments that followed Mooney’s announcement of the preliminary vote, the board okayed agreements with two unions to furlough staff and teachers.

Some $2.5 million of those cuts, including plans to increase class sizes and to streamline the district office, were expected to be made regardless of whether the measure passed. School board trustees had hoped to restore others if the measure passed.

The tax would cost homeowners $659 for each of the next eight years and commercial property owners 13 cents per square foot of lot up to $9,500 per parcel. It would replace the district’s existing Measure A and Measure H parcel taxes, which are to sunset in 2012.

The new tax would raise $14 million a year, double what Measure A and Measure H earned the district. Seniors and some disabled people would be eligible for exemptions from the tax.

The Board of Education put the tax on the ballot in an effort to avoid an anticipated $7 million budget deficit for the 2010-2011 school year. The state cut $7 million in general education funding for Alameda Unified for this past school year, but the district had enough money saved to weather the loss for the year.

Without the new tax, the district expects its budget deficit to grow to $16.2 million by the 2012-13 school year, when its existing Measure A and Measure H parcel taxes lapse. District staff has said that without additional funding, it could begin closing schools in 2011-2012.

The vote caps a nasty campaign that saw some proponents threatening to boycott shops whose owners didn’t support the tax and an opposition campaign video that played on simmering race and class tensions across the Island.

Officially, proponents of the tax said it is needed to maintain the quality of Alameda’s schools in the face of unprecedented state budget cuts and to prevent school closures and program cuts. Opponents said the tax was unfair to commercial property owners, many of whom will pay far more than residents, and that they would sue the district over the new tax if it passed.

Over the course of the campaign, the district played a starring role in what could be an historic lawsuit intended to reform the state’s school funding system and emerged victorious from a separate suit that questioned the legality of the Measure H tax. Opponents of the tax have said they will appeal the latter decision.

Measure H was losing in early results as well, but ended up passing by a few dozen votes.

• George says:

Good, I hope it fails. Stop sucking on the taxpayers and working people every time the useless seat warmers and walking coffee cups in Sacramento decide to mismanage and waste our money. There are alternative ways to obtain money.

• Kristen says:

George says: “There are alternative ways to obtain money.” Really, George? How? Please enlighten us.
    Measure E’s failure = the tyranny of the minority.

• Mark says:

Nice shortsightedness, George. Watch when Alameda schools start going downhill – your home value will plummet too. When you have nice homes & bad schools, you have Oakland.

• Ben says:

Oh well, Alameda has been great for us for the last decade, but it looks like we’ll be leaving in the next 3 years before our son starts school.

• Bob says:

I would have supported it if I ever saw more money improve education. It never does. The teacher union keeps lousy teachers through tenure and seniority and protects a school year much shorter than the rest of the industrialized world. The problem is not lack of money. The problem is a system run for the benefit of the teacher’s unions and not students. BTW – Increasing taxes without improving schools lowers property values. Who wants to buy a house in a city with lousy schools and high taxes.

• Franklin says:

Ben’s reply is typical of all the folks who threatened to leave for Canada in 2000 and 2004 … and 10 years later, are still around :)

• Eliza says:

I am surprised that so few people voted. The people with children in the schools were far more centralized in their activities and probably far more likely to vote, but were the rest of the citizens really so neutral that they didn’t vote at all? Whatever the result, the numbers are lower than I would have expected, and parents are probably disproportionately represented.

• Steve says:

I agree with Bob. Enough is enough. Lets cut out the bad teachers and close
    some of the schools. Go for quality in education and work toward the upper
    10%. Cut the fat in administration and use what we have for the students.
    Our property could even increase in value.

• Ben says:

Not really Franklin. Moving to the peninsula to pursue needed services isn’t really like moving to another country over political differences. If the Alameda School District has a significant decline in quality because of this we’ll move to a district that meets our needs and we’d still have our same jobs and social circle. Parents do it all the time. I love Alameda, but not enough to damage my son’s education.

• Marie says:

George, that is so easy to say. Please name at least one viable alternative way to raise money for our schools. I still hope that Measure E passes. Perhaps there are many ballots yet to be counted that were hand-delivered due to the importance of this vote. The passage of Measure E would be a tribute to the wonderful teachers and other staff who work so diligently on educating and caring for Alameda’s kids.

By the way, BOB…the problem IS a lack of money. The state has CUT THE BUDGET OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT. This measure isn’t about just giving the schools more money, it’s about filling in the gaps created by the state. It’s not the fault of the unions. You’re repeating the same old line about “teachers/unions/seniority/tenure blah blah blah” and you don’t even know how the funding of school districts works. What is wrong with paying union wages to a teacher (who by the way is highly and continuously educated) who TEACHES YOUR CHILDREN? Don’t you pay union wages to the person who fixes your car? Or the guy who unplugs your crappy toilet? Isn’t education a bit more important than your possessions? You folks griping about a measly $55 or so dollars per month probably don’t even think twice before ordering up your cable at $70 per month, or your cell phone phone service for over one hundred dollars a month. I’m a renter, no equity in a home, nothing to show for spending all this money every month. No kids in school, but I’m not whining about a possible rent increase. So many people are worrying about their property values–will they go UP if I vote yes on Measure E, or will they go down? What about the value in providing a good education to all the children in our community?

• Mark Irons says:

Bob, so you expect those lazy teachers to teach a longer school year without spending more on education? where did you learn to do math?

• George says:

I have news for you Mark. I went to these dumpy Alameda schools years ago;, they were bad then, they are worse now. You already have Oakland on the West End, it’s called Encinal and the area is riddled with crime and riff raff, drugs, shootings. The public works department can’t even concrete a sidewalk without the wonderful students driving their cars through the freshly poured concrete. As for Alameda property values they are a joke. It’s a decaying city with no direction or real leadership.

Mark says:
    1, June 22, 2010 at 9:47 pm

• Steve says:

It’s not just a measly $55.00 per month. As a business owner I would be paying
    about 5,000.00 per year or about 417.00 a month. Could you make this budget.
    If the school board would have suggested a flat tax that everyone would pay
    on an equal basis I would have been one of the supporters. Don’t expect a
    few businesses to carry the responsibility of the State shortfall.

• George says:

You do it by establishing fundraising programs and also by not voting in the money wasters in Sacramento and Alameda County in the first place. People like you always think taxing on top of more taxing on top of more taxing is going to solve all the money problems. You think E is so great and taxation is the way, come help my pay my parcel taxes to fulfill your dream. Measure E’s failure = Not enough crazy people supported it.

Kristen says:
    1, June 22, 2010 at 9:46 pm
    Measure E’s failure = the tyranny of the minority.

• Steve R says:

I just bought a house in Alameda, mainly for the great schools. I campaigned for Measure E, gave money to the campaign, and of course voted for it. I guess I underestimated the shortsightedness of people. Now we get to sit back and watch Alameda become San Leandro Island.

• Jack B. says:

Housing values are going to drop like an anvil.

• NickB says:

School closures, teacher lay-offs, Ross moving back in… oh boy.

Btw, where can I get a list of businesses that have publicly supported/opposed prop. E? I’m not talking about boycotting, but going forward and given a choice, I’d rather patronize businesses who selflessly kept our kids and future in mind. Someone please post a list. Thank you.

• MC says:

Clearly, there are many people and businesses that simply do not really want to be part of this community. Yes, it would be nice if being part of a community were free, or at least cheap, but it isn’t. Those who were against Measure E obviously don’t care if we become the next Oakland (or Richmond, or Vallejo, or whatever). Here’s a simple solution for those who aren’t interested in being a part of our community: leave. I know I will be taking the vast majority of my shopping dollars off-island from now on. NickB: Here’s a start – Owners of Tucker’s and Alameda Bicycle publicly supported Measure E.

The $64,000 question (or is it $7.2 million?) question du jour for Alameda) is:

How many YES ballots are in the ballot box at City Hall, and how many total ballots?
    (I know of at least two YES ballots that are in there–the ones from our house.
    But they are not enough to turn the tide without hundreds more just like them.)

The pickup is scheduled for 9 AM and the “final” unofficial tally will be out later today.

I hope and pray that an admittedly very unlikely turnaround victory for Measure E will
    render moot the hurtful and seemingly callous and mean-spirited attitudes of some
    opponents of Measure E, as well as the opponents’ (deliberately?) misleading statements.

Alameda is divided enough already and further animosity will not help.

• Anne says:

I am so sad today. I love this city dearly, but fear we will leave if E or a similar measure in November does not pass.

I do not want my children attending mega-schools where there are 30+ children in a class (can you imagine that for Kindergarten?), little supervision on a massive, overpopulated play yard at recess and little parent community. Not to mention lack of music, media, etc.

Opponents of Measure E have said that it serves the East End and its “wealthy” residents. They think there is disparity now? Watch when Lincoln becomes a combo Elementary for Otis/Edison and that school might actually be able to fundraise for teachers aides for the classes. That will be disparity. Paden, a West end gem, will close and watch the API scores drop. Along with all of our property values. Along with morale all over Alameda.

I think about all those signs I saw for No on E. Why all the hate? The businesses think paying a parcel tax is a lot? It’s better than going out of business, as many likely will over time. There’s a price to pay for a wonderful community, unfortunately. It’s a bitter pill, but necessary.

We will rally and work hard again for another measure in November, but for now I am just terribly sad.

• Jenna says:

Alameda had a way to obtain money. A marijuana dispensary wanted to open on Webster Street, but the City wouldn’t allow it, giving silly reasons such as…
    burglaries might increase. In case anyone isn’t paying attention there are hundreds of burglaries already happening in Alameda. The world hasn’t ended yet.
    All that tax money gone, for silly reasons. Funny, I don’t see anyone trying to stop the sale of alcohol. Every week in the police report section of Alameda Journal there are several DUI’s. Now there’s a real danger. Alcohol abuse results in broken families, car accidents, loss of life, violence, on and on. Smoking pot results in getting the munchies. Good job Alameda. Poor judgement like denying dispensaries and turning away their tax money only hurts Alamedans.

• cabforles says:

• Pedro Gozinga says:

Ok, now’s the time to prioritize.

How much money goes to bum services, er I mean “homeless” servies?

How much money goes for “low income” housing subsidies?

You can’t keep reaching into the pockets of the productive sector to feed the parasitic sector. Eventually the productive sector gets tired of it and leaves.

How many businesses have left because of overregulation?

I invite you to peruse the following link: http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/

All of these businesses leaving California outright, or expanding outside of California have done so because of over regulation. This is by no means a comprehensive list, the guy who compiles it verifies everything before posting it, and is not an industry insider. But it is indicative of the situation this state faces.

Every business that leaves takes it tax dollars with it. So for the sake of regulation, your precious schools have been cut by the state. There is a definite connection here, and until you all take your heads out of the sand and get rid of these political hacks, it will not change.

• Mark says:

I have children who attend Alameda public schools, and yes I support the yearly parcel tax on my HOME for the benefit of our public education system. However, I could not vote for the measue as written. Here’s the problem as I see it: The tax is without a doubt UNFAIR. Here’s why: I am also a business owner in Alameda who would be paying $19,000 more per year in property taxes, which equates to $152,000 over the next eight years. This figure does not account for the $38,000 I have already paid over the past two years. I am not a rich man, nor does my business have huge profit margins. I just have the misfortune of sitting on two large parcels. Is this fair? Measure E could actually force me out of business. The solution as I see it is to tax everyone fairly, and not be greedy! Also, how about some more “hands on” good old fashioned community/parental participation within our school district. It sickens me to see 90% of the community TAKE and never GIVEBACK. No help with school fund raising efforts, no participation in PTA, no help with school grad night, etc., etc. It is always the same parents over and over who take action and PATICIPATE. Great schools need more than money, they need caring parents who are involved.

• Mark says:

• Scott says:

It is time for people to start stepping up and stop looking for hand outs. Lead follow or get out of the way. Let’s go

• Pedro Gozinga says:

Mark says:
    1, June 23, 2010 at 9:39 amI don’t think that most supporters of measure E need to worry. The results so far mirror the last school parcel tax that passed two years ago at the 11th hour. You heard it here first, measure E will pass by a narrow margin after counting all of the “last minute” miracle votes.

I don’t know, they may have used up all of their “Emergency Votes” on the last election. That closet may be empty now.

• hobnob says:

I hope measure E fails. Make a parcel tax that is more fair and everyone on the island has to pay, INCLUDING seniors.

Also, if you’re so worried about money, why doesn’t every parent pay an extra $1000 into the system per student. That will definitely make up for some of the cost in all the alameda schools, we got to have about over 10,000 students in Alameda, that’s about 1 million right there to keep stuff open.

– unfair? I feel Measure E was unfair to have any excempt citizens from paying the tax, so why is my suggestion of a parent paying an extra $1k for their child going to school unfair?

Ross is moving back in – you know, the demographics of Alameda is now more Asian, I feel Ross is moving back in b/c we have so many frugal and cheapskates in Alameda. Take for example, the TJ Maxx in Alameda may carry some nice things, but not nearly as nice as the more affluent places TJ Maxx is in. That right there, should tell you the demographics of what type of Alamedians are here. So Ross moving back in seems to fit in with the types of people that shop here. Kohl’s too. I don’t think it’s b/c of the recession either. Of course, these shops do help now that we’re in a recession.

• hobnob says:

“you know, the demographics of Alameda is now more Asian”

– as a clarification, I’ve noticed more asians. I am also asian, so don’t take this as a racist comment. I’ve been in Alameda for 6 years, when I first moved here, I didn’t notice as many asians as I do now.

– I am not saying only asians shop in TJ Maxx or Kohl’s, normal everyday people shop there. I was merely talking about demographics.

• Steven says:

“cabforles says:
    There would have been a larger voter count if the school district had this on the June 8 ballot. Put the blame where it belongs, on the school district mangement” [sic]

Uhhhh, I don’t think so.

Over 50% of Alamedans voted in the Measure E mail-in vote.
    About 38-39% of Alamedans voted in the “live” Feb. 2 Election dealing with Measure B.
    I don’t think there is an official Alameda turnout for the “live” June 8 vote, but county-wide it was 35%.

Thus, seems like the Measure E ballot in fact had a higher turnout than a “live” vote. This follows most national data which suggests that mail-in only elections do result in higher voter participation.

• alameda says:

But the fact still remains that 1 in 2 voters couldn’t be bothered! Amazing.

Several NO voters want a “fair” tax, but a parcel tax–the only real option available to local jurisdictions following Proposition 13 in 1978) is inherently less fair than other forms of taxation. But taking it out on Alameda’s students and schools is a lousy way to support education or the next generation.

It is also grossly unfair to penalize our own children in the face of the continuing problems in Sacramento that helped create the current budgetary emergence in the AUSD. Even if we are not individually adoptive or biological parents we are collectively responsible for the next generation. (I am not a parent but I still voted YES on E.)

I would ask George, Ben, Bob, Steve, and other opponents of Measure E how they will support all of Alameda’s children
    if Measure E fails. Will they personally donate cash to the AUSD to avoid larger class and school sizes and to retain basic educational programs in our public schools?

Today’s public school students are the next generation of customers and clients for our businesses as well as our upcoming community leaders. How is it “fair” to deprive our own kids of a decent education?

• Jack Kirby says:

I think a number of you who are making alternative funding recommendations have overlooked some obvious points:

1. community fund raising is extremely active at all Alameda schools in support of both PTA funded programs and directly by the sports programs. To recommend more fund raising efforts is redundant.

2. hobnob’s proposal of a student user fee of $1000 isn’t legal at this time. AUSD has no authority to make such a request nor authority to collect it. most of the fund raising activities in the community are done my 3rd party organizations like AEF or PTA, in support of the schools.

3. Education has always been a community activity. To put the funding responsibility on the parents of each school age kid to fund the school divides the community at it’s very heart. I don’t collect Social Security or Medicare, but I pay for it out of my paycheck every week to support those who do. I don’t see the funding of education for the children of our community any differently. It is a community responsibility.

If these are the reasons people voted against Measure E, because they think there are other sources of funding in our community than a parcel tax to make up the $14M gap, then you are sorely mistaken.

• Jason Wood says:

Time to go back to the drawing board write a FAIR measure. Supports of Measure E stop using the fear as a tool to get your point across. People against Measure E work the supports and craft a measure that is accountable and fair.

Students at times of difficulty you need to understand education first then “extra stuff” comes second. In other words, yes some activities need to be cut. Your entitlement days are over….

• Jack B. says:

Hey Jason, did “entitlement days” ever start for today’s 1st graders? You care to calculate how much debt has been piled upon them by older generations? It’s obscene.

The least we can do is educate them enough so they can pay it off.

• hobnob says:

1) I’ve rarely seen any fundraising for the schools around Alameda, so don’t know how they fundraise.

2) Even if ASUD didn’t have the authority to do it, you’d think they ask the parents of each child enrolled in the Alameda schools to do it anyway, b/c it’s their children and the money is there to benefit their children. Why wouldn’t they want to pay more to ensure that their kids gets those classes, small class sizes, etc that Measure E is suppose to support.

3) Social security and medicare are going bankrupt. WE pay into it but the scheme is bad. When all the baby boomers retire and collect social security and medicare, the system will be bankrupt. So is this still a good system? By the time I retire and collect (20+ years), there may not be one.

I am not against #3, I’m not against the schools, I’m not against the children. But saying yes to this parcel tax doesn’t guarantee where the money will go. Nobody in the district guarantees. If they get that $7 million a year, that means they get $7 million to spread it however they seem fit. They wouldn’t get consessions, they wouldn’t get changes that need to be made.

Having 10 elementary schools in Alameda I think is excessive, not for the size of the population, they should consolidate.

i want to have children soon, so such a measure affects me personally too, but I still don’t support measure E. If it’s truly a community thing, then Alameda needs to figure out a way to tax EVERY Alamedian. Also, if parents from outside Alameda send their kids to alameda schools, they should also be automatically applied to this tax as well.

• Jack B. says:

Hobnob, are you serious? 1) There are fundraising events and activities throughout the year. Many.

2) It’s simply not legal. Have you been paying any attention at all? I asked the same thing about a year ago.

3) Saying yes keeps the $$$ here in Alameda at the discretion of the school board, which are voted in by we the people.

Hobnob, it’s very apparent that you haven’t been paying attention.

• Rene says:

I didn’t think I cared so much, but I do. I thought I understood both sides, but I don’t. I’m angry at the business owners who voted to close my children’s school. I was sad to tell my two kids that their school, where we have a tile on the wall, will be closed. I do blame the businesses for No on E, and as soon as I get a list of those opposed to E, I will boycott them. I don’t want to start rumors, but I did hear one of the already pricey vets downtown was opposed.

As a teacher in a neighboring district, Alameda’s furlough days are going to cost me thousands of dollars in child care. Driving my kids to a more distant school instead of walking will cost time and money. How many days from work will parents have to take time off to cover those furlough days? It looks like parents and their employers will be making up the cost that those “No on E” businesses will be saving.

• MC says:

I keep hearing “I support the schools, but I want a fair tax.” Admit it, folks, those of you who keep saying this believe the only “fair” tax is one that taxes somebody else and not you. I’ll say it again: if you don’t want to be part of this community (which includes paying taxes to support the school system even if you don’t have children in the schools), no one is stopping you from leaving.

• NickB says:

So, Plan B (no parcel tax) of the AUSD master plan calls for closing:
    – 3 or more elementary schools
    – one high school
    – one middle school

Rene, you seem to know that your kids’ school will be closing. Where did you get this information? is there a published proposal somewhere? when will the closures take effect, this year already?

• Jean says:

Why was there an exemption for seniors?

Was this a ploy to get the senior vote?

What is stopping them from voting Yes, if it costs them NOTHING?

Seems bizarre, no?

• Puzzled says:

Just think…you are the people that had all the answers!??! Who knew? All we did was go door to door and ask that people support our schools and all along we should have just asked you! And apparently looking after your own tax bill vs the betterment of the community is NOT selfish? Time to put a call into my parents who taught me to think about others before I think of myself. And all this time being married to a teacher, she must has been lying to me about that the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that we put into her classroom, she was just being lazy and overpaid. Damn do I have a conversation to have when I see her tonight…I mean it is Summer break and all she has been doing is taking care of our two kids, making sure the plumber came to fix our water, dealt with her fellow teachers who are equally upset about last night’s happenings, planning dinner, lunch, breakfast, camp, swimming, reading, cleaning. Summer break, how lucky are those teachers that get paid to only work a few hours a week for a few months.

you all know how to fix it and everybody else doesn’t…if only we knew who you were??

• Rene says:

I heard Bay Farm, Otis, Edison, and Franklin are elementary schools slated for closure. These are supposedly the smallest schools. These are also the schools with the most active parents. It feels manipulative to me. I hope there is another option for the schools in November, something new on the ballots that businesses can support.

• George says:

It didn’t pass, so whatever news you had for us “first” was totally incorrect.

Mark says:
    1, June 23, 2010 at 9:39 am

• AMH says:

When you get that list, Rene, give it to me, so I can make sure they DO get MY business.

Obviously, all those businesses closing down on Park REALLY closed down because they made enough money to retire, and are currently enjoying their vacations in the Bahamas.

But, you know? You’re absolutely right. You SHOULD give your money to Ross and Wal-Mart, since those aren’t small, Mom-and-Pop businesses. THEY can afford to run a business in Alameda, and can easily pay higher taxes…Ooh, Ooh! Maybe if we boycott and tax the local businesses into going under, Wal-Mart will move in! Won’t that be wonderful? Then the horrible people over the bridge that we are so afraid of becoming, will shop there, and be our friends!

Homeowners, parents, easily intimidated affluent business owners — now THOSE are the type of people you WANT in Alameda! Those renters who may have lower-paying jobs and can’t afford a house will just have to leave when rent rises…good riddance, eh? Maybe they can go to Oakland/Vallejo/Richmond, which is apparently where ALL people who don’t make enough money belong. Serves them right for not paying through the nose to ‘be part of the community.’

And everyone knows that throwing money at teachers will make your children smarter. The more money EVERYBODY pays to educate your child, the less responsibility you have to take at home! You know, pesky annoying things, like ensuring they read, do their homework, or take an interest in learning. I’d be disappointed too, if it meant I had to actually DO more of those things.

And you know what? A medical dispensary isn’t such a boogeyman. It would be a terrific boon to the local fast-food businesses and local restaurants nearby. I’ve never heard of a cancer patient starting a bar brawl, or beating their spouses under the influence of marijuana.

‘Nuff said, congrats that common sense reigned.

• Michelle says:

AMH, you are awesome!

• ThankyouAlameda says:

AMH, please run for school board in November!

• SL says:

MC, it is ALL about the fair tax. If the measure is to ensure better schools and, hence, home value, the tax should be based on assessed value of the homes. Why people live in million dollar home pay the same amount of tax?

Jean, seniors getting the exemption is the classic example of Representation without Taxation and that’s why it requires 2/3 of votes to pass any tax increase.

• gillico says:

How does boycotting Alameda businesses support education, students, schools, the community or the AUSD?

It sounds more like the attitude of someone who lost and wants to take her toys home in bitter defeat.

A better course of action might be to work together with your neighbors for the benefit of the AUSD and Alameda’s students with the resources that are available, and stop trying to create an us vs. them attitude.