Home » Business

New Zealander may reopen soon

Submitted by on 1, February 18, 2010 – 6:00 am11 Comments

So waaay back at the end of January, I got an e-mail from someone letting me know that the New Zealander restaurant and pub was closed. A sign in the window said the restaurant was on vacation through January 24. But it never reopened.

Alameda Journal blogger Janet Levaux later reported that Mike T. of San Ramon wrote on Yelp that he’s working to reopen the pub, taking it over from longtime owner Clive Hitchens. A post on a New Zealander blog from Monday claims that Barrett St. Germain will be taking over the restaurant, with Hitchens remaining on as chef, and that changes are afoot:

We are currently attempting to give the restaurant a more spacious look. The large windows help to open the place up. We are also looking to create a separation inside between the bar side and the restaurant side, so patrons will feel comfortable enough to either have a beer, bring the kids, or both.

We are also looking to make some menu changes based upon patron input, using both this blog (surveys/polls) and our Facebook page under Crolls NewZealander.

Currently, we are trying to incorporate more New Zealander beers to our offering, however, we have only been able to get 1 beer on tap. If we have to start carrying bottles we will, so that you too can be a kiwi!

The restaurant needs some work still, and with historical paperwork to be filed and followed, but should be open sooner, rather than later. Pardon our dust.

A subsequent post claims the restaurant is having trouble with its liquor license, but the new owners hope to reopen in March. Stay tuned for more details.

Meanwhile, over on Park Street, cute kiddie clothing purveyor Pippen Hill is closing after seven years. But a few blocks up at 1303 Park, it looks like a new pizza and pasta joint named Scolari’s is set to open soon. There’s a little more info here.

• MIke T says:

It's a true, and honestly amazing thing, we will be reopening in early March. Barret has a date in mind, however, I'm leery about posting it until the new equipment is installed, and new staff hired and trained, but it will reopen.

And Yes, we will be doing Pub Pies again. In fact, you will probably see us at your local farmers markets around the bay area this year and maybe even at your local grocery store. Time, patience and a bit of hard work will see this place as a once again thriving business over on Webster. We hope to see you there!

• Scott says:

Would love to see that back patio touched up and used. Everyone loves eating outside.

• Jill Staten says:

This is great news. The New Zealander is my elder daughter's favorite restaurant, and we were already trying to figure out where to go for her 18th birthday in April in the absence of NZ. She loves the mince pies, and my husband and I think the cheeseburgers are the best in Alameda.

Will the improvements make it warmer inside? My only complaint is that it's often so cold that I have to wear my jacket. Making the Central-side door exit-only would help.

• Susan says:

Wonderful news. -I really, really hope the American Burger and the Baa Baa Burger will stay on the menu. (My spousal unit and I think they are the best burgers on earth.)

• Karen Bey says:

Glad to hear you’re reopening! You hae the best burgers in town! Making it warmer inside and doing a few renovations will go along way. I just experiened the newly redecorated Garibaldi restaurant in Oakland and the new upgrades make a big difference!

• Ken says:

Open the back patio to dogs and we’ll be there often.

• Daniel Zuranich says:

Really excited to hear that the only place I can find an Auklander is gonna re-open, Also when are you hiring

• MIke T says:

Daniel- That is a great question, and I’ll try and get something posted on the blog about jobs/positions once I touch base with the owner.

Karen- I keep hearing this “warmer” comment, it makes me wonder if something is wrong with the central air unit. That could be a problem. I’ll pass this on as well.

Susan- The Burger’s are not going anywhere! I personally love the Aucklander

Ken- The back patio. Where to begin. The Patio unit is shared with both the offices upstairs and the pizza place next door. I’m also unaware of what sort of permits/health codes there are for dogs on the patio, but I will also pass this on, because I agree, dogs on the patio would be a great step in bringing people in for a burger and a beer!

Jill- We look forward to seeing you in April for you daughter’s birthday!

Scott- As it’s raining and cold out right now, I think the patio is on hold until we get the main restaurant opened and running, but have no fear we have plans in the works to update it.

• matt sage says:

i loved all the old staff there they were the best. i was also working there as the cook. i hope i will see everyone that used to work there be working their agian!! i hope to the restaurant to be open soon and maybe me working their again!!??

It’s hard to be without one of our favorite West End hangouts, but SO nice to know that the New Zealander will be back soon, including the ales and the pot pies.

• chris says:

Bring Gary back, the patio is one of the reasons I’ve eaten at the NZ a gazillion times ( and seen many dogs back there!) lower some of the prices, improve service, and you’ll do fine….