Posey Tube reopened after flooding

Submitted by on 1, January 29, 2010 – 5:45 am6 Comments

Updated 1:30 p.m.

The Posey Tube has reopened after reopened after early morning flooding, and cleanup crews are mopping up the rest of the mess.

A 12-inch water main broke, causing flooding that was reported at around 3 a.m. and leading to the Tube closure, East Bay Municipal District spokesman Charles Hardy said. Hardy said crews worked for three hours to try to find the source of the flooding and get the water shut off.

“It’s a difficult area, with a lot of pipes going in a lot of different directions,” Hardy said.

The Tube was reopened at around 7:45 a.m., Hardy said. And he said the main should be fixed late this afternoon. The closure is affecting five nearby businesses (one is the Mariner Square Athletic Club). The cause of the break is not yet known.

Hardy said the flooding – which at 11 a.m. today had closed a road that runs parallel to the Tube and had spread into the parking lot and drainage ditch of nearly offices – did not cause any property damage, though he said one motorist drove her car into the water and got stuck. He said the woman was not injured.

• ssl says:

I found it frustrating that none of the news reports on the flooding discussed the impact to public transportation. But maybe no information is better than the incorrect information AC Transit customer service was giving — all day, they were insisting (rudely) that there was “no impact” to bus lines like the 51 or 19 (which was clearly impossible) and as of around 2 pm the 19 was still being diverted to bypass the loop. I have been riding AC Transit (on and off) since 1977 (when I was 12) and this was the first time I felt compelled to file a complaint.

• BC says:

It was a bit frustrating! The buses (or some) were routed back from the tunnel east on BV Ave to go over the Park St. bridge. I figured out what was going on and tried to get the driver of a 63 heading east on BV to stop at a 19 stop but she drove right past. The driver of a 19 towards the tube said he’d be picking up passengers towards the tube then turning back towards Park (which seemed the logical thing to do). It would seem sensible that, in these situations, the drivers should pick up refugees at bus stops along the way to Park St. to help them get to Oakland.

• ssl says:

Well, without going into excruciating detail, I did see a couple of 51s going east on Buena Vista this morning, and the 19 was skipping the Marina Village Pkwy loop — AC Transit actually did put signs in that area redirecting people to different stops. I want to emphasize that of course I expected delays/diversions and some confusion in this situation, and that the drivers (especially on the 19) are usually reasonably friendly/courteous/professional. But I think some of them got a little confused and took a bigger diversion than they were supposed to (while meanwhile, the customer service people were denying there was any diversion at all). Also, I normally use nextbus.com which (about 80% of the time) is an amazing sevice, but it was completely useless today, which is why I actually phoned AC Transit to get the scoop from a real person. And unfortunately the real people I spoke to not only gave me mis-information, they were downright mean. Maybe I should feel lucky — I talked to one woman this morning who had already waited more than an hour for a bus to Chinatown, and she hadn’t heard about the flooding at all.

The flooding and tube closure–with typically disruptive results–just reemphasizes the need for a ferry or water taxi between the West End and Jack London Square, and eventually (in whose lifetime?) another bridge across or tunnel under the estuary.

Cyclists and pedestrians, who now suffer their way through the toxic and filthy Posey Tube,deserve a much better (more equitable) share of the transportation resources pie. So do transit riders.

• Scott says: