Home » Island News

Fire department investigating Beach Road blaze

Submitted by on 1, August 10, 2009 – 5:50 amNo Comment
81

The Alameda Fire Department is investigating a Saturday night blaze at a home on the 200 block of Beach Road on Bay Farm Island.

The department got a call at 8:26 p.m. Saturday about the fire, which started in the laundry room and spread from there to the kitchen and ultimately, into the attic.

Capt. Bob Buell said the department sent three engines, a truck, an ambulance and a chief officer to the scene and that crews from Oakland Fire came to staff Alameda’s stations while local firefighters battled the blaze.

He said the fire caused $150,000 in damage to the home and another $150,000 in damage to its contents, which included a trove of rock memorabilia. There were no reports of injuries, and the family that owns the home is staying with relatives, he said.

Fire staff are investigating the fire, which Buell said may have been started by an iron or other appliance that was left unattended.

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.

*