Firefighters quash Pacific Ave blaze
Alameda firefighters quickly extinguished an early morning blaze today at a home on the 500 block of Pacific Avenue. Firefighters aren’t yet certain of the cause of the fire, though fireworks were reported to be going off in the area before the fire.
Firefighters received a call about the fire at 3:21 a.m. today. When they arrived, they found the porch area at the front of the house on fire, Division Chief Matt Tunney said. Tunney said the home’s owner was attempting to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. He said firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and spent the next 90 minutes “overhauling” the home to make sure the fire was completely out.
The home’s occupants were evacuated safely, Division Chief Daren Olson said. He said the fire caused about $12,500 worth of damage. Olson said a firefighter was injured during the “overhaul” of the fire but was treated and released at the scene. It was not clear what the firefighter’s injuries were.
Olson and Tunney said it was not clear what the cause of the fire was, though Olson said fireworks were reported to be going off in the neighborhood.
“We just remind people that it’s against the law to use fireworks in the city,” Olson said. He said police will be contacted if fireworks use is reported, and that the fireworks will be confiscated. Firefighters could also be called if the fireworks could pose a threat to life or property.
Eighteen Alameda fire personnel responded to the single-alarm fire – three engines, two trucks, an ambulance and a chief officer – as did Alameda Police and Alameda Municipal Power.