Home » Business

Semifreddi’s moving to Alameda

Submitted by on 1, April 3, 2009 – 6:30 am5 Comments

Here’s some good news: Bread and pastry maker Semifreddi’s is planning to move from Emeryville to a new facility in the Harbor Bay Business Park, according to this story in the San Jose Mercury News.

Apparently the lease on Semifreddi’s current facility is not going to be renewed because their landlord – Pixar – plans to expand into the space. So they’re planning on moving to a 34,000-square-foot facility here, perhaps in as soon as six months.

The company currently employs 125 people and is hoping to add another 30, if the economy allows. (Heck, I’d be happy to buy more of that cinnamon twist bread to help make that happen.)

The business park is turning into quite the food hub; it’s already home to Peet’s Coffee & Tea and Donsuemor, the Madeline cookie folks.

• Hilman says:

Is it my imagination or is Harbor Bay Isle Business Park slowly becoming a heavy industrial area? Frito Lay? Peet's? Now, Semifreddi? What next? Animal testing again, perhaps?

• Hilman says:

Harbor Bay Industrial Park — won't that be a doozy for property values.

• David Kirwin says:

Good Grief – I welcome such jobs to our island. Even though coffee roasting doesn't smell anything like fresh roasted coffee, I’m glad to have Peet’s her, in fact I’m proud of it.

I have a hard time understanding the gripes of the above comments – I think these food industries are a step friendlier from the bio-techs. Somehow I'm not really comforted by nano tech and bio-engineering in my neighborhood. I guess to a greater degree that's the way people felt about living near Fort Dietrick in MD with their DOD bio & germ engineering.

At least living here on Alameda’s little island I am not subjected to the toxins like at the Point or even those under Bayport where homeowners are prohibited from digging 24" into their yard for the fears of toxin release. Also in Bay Farm’s commercial and light industrial area, residential use is prohibited, just as it should be at the Point.

• David Kirwin says:

Frito Lay distributor, Peet’s coffee roasting, Semi Freddi bread baking, and the cheese distributor – Are these the hallmarks of "Heavy Industry? Sounds like someone believes Bush made the right move in re-classifying fast-food workers as “industrial assembly workers”.

• ana says:

Hy congratulatios for your new home, I love all your pastris.