Planning, and building
The city is getting ready to fix up the old Carnegie Library and Foster House across from City Hall so they can be used as … offices for the Alameda Planning and Building Department. (D’ya think they’ll have trouble getting permits?)
A history: Built in 1903, the library was named after Andrew Carnegie, who paid for it. C.H. Foster, the contractor who built the library, apparently liked it so much that he built a home right next door (or he built the library next to his house?). The home became the city’s children’s library in 1926, 11 years after Foster died, and currently serves as offices for the Alameda County Health Care Services Agency. The library building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The library moved out of the Carnegie building in 1998, and last year, the City Council agreed to let planning and building move in. Tonight the city’s Historical Advisory Board will be looking over the plans, which include picking up the Foster House and moving it to make room for a lobby with an elevator and bathrooms, which would connect the buildings and satisfy disability access requirements.